Thursday 4 April 2019

Brunnerton Diary Entry | Emil

Dear Diary


Today is the 27th of March 1896.
I’m extremely worried about my dad not coming home.
I haven’t been told much, but I overheard my mum talking
to one of our friends about an explosion that happened in
the mine my dad works at. I did hear an extremely loud
boom yesterday in the morning and wondered what it was.
I saw Mr O’Flynn flee out of his classroom at our school
when the boom happened and then all the children from
his class 5 minutes afterwards.

I hope dad’s alright and that nothing happened to anyone
in the mine. What if dad died and we won’t have anymore
money for food and clothes? I think I’m just overwhelmed
with my dad not coming home. Our house just feels empty
that my dad hasn't come home and my mum looks a lot
more sad than I’ve ever seen her. I don’t want to ask
what’s wrong because I’m afraid that will make her even
more sad.


I think I also overheard my mum talking about a funeral
not too far in the future and to be honest, that really
doesn't help with everything I’ve already heard. Everyone
that I’ve seen seems very depressed since that day I
heard that ear splitting boom. Maybe it was just someone
being stupid and set something off that made that
boom, however I don’t think anything could have made a
boom that loud.

I  just hope that everything is alright and everyone is ok.
Maybe that funeral my mum was talking about was just
someone that has passed away recently in the
neighborhood that she new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.